The “Kukere” crooner is yet again in vogue. This young man who hit the big screens with MTN Project Fame has not relented at getting better. His new single “Kukere” is now the talk of town. Someone had to talk to somebody in order to get Iyanya spare me 20 minutes of discussion. I broke through his busy schedule today 21st of May, and got him to share a lot of things with me.
Although i promised 20 minutes, we were together for several hours and we were able to talk about a lot of things. As usual, I did not make it seem like an interview, but my series of question sold me out. Iyanya is one down to earth dude and now I see why dem gyals love him. This humble dude who still sees himself as an up and coming act is real down to earth. Here are excerpts from our discussion.
– Can i get to meet you Iyanya?
– When did you start commercial music?
I had started music a long time ago, but commercially, it all started in 2000 at the 1st Calabar Christmas festival. Everyone knew that I could sing, so they requested me and I performed, which was a very big thing for me then.
– Lets discuss your background.
😀 My background was very interesting. I grew up in Calabar, Nursery school all through the University. I grew up in a large compound with all my cousins before they left. I stayed most of the time with my late dad with whom myself and brother always had a strong connection.
– The MTN Project Fame experience.
That was an event that sold me out. It was indeed challenging from the first day. The MTN Project Fame did it for me, all the packaging you know. 😉
-Can you remember your first song?
😀 =)) yep yep, I remember my first song. It was rap and you can bet, it was all wack, so wack that I did not want to hear it again, it was just funny, and I only got better from there.
– What’s your relationship with other artistes?
I respect every artiste, new and old. It’s not easy being on the front pages. “2baba”, “Wande Coal”, and also “Rayce” are artistes i really hope to work with real soon.
-What track sold you out and registered you as a brand act?
Definitely “Love Truly”. That track sold me out and i was shown love by everyone.
-How did the” Mbuks” feel when you dropped your certificate and decided to pick up the mic?
I was really supported by my family which i will forever appreciate. They knew I could do it, so that left them no choice than to pray for me and watch my back. They have always been there all through. They were my backbone when no other person was.
– How would you define your kind of music?
Basically, I do R’n’B and Dancehall, but by definition, I do “good music”.
– Challenges faced as an upcoming artiste and now that you made?
– Future plans?
To make music loved by everyone, that’s the target.
– How do you cope with your female fans?
The female fans show us the way. I keep it real with them, I love them and they love me too.
I sincerely love and cherish my fans. Without them, there will be no “Iyanya”. Without them, I’m going nowhere. I thank them for always being there. I beg them to always stay with me and pray that I never go astray…. <3
– Iyanya, what…?
Wale nah, you said just 20 mins…
Enjoy these 2 tracks from Iyanya…
Iyanya – Kukere – EXCLUSIVE #ACEWORLD DOWNLOAD
Iyanya – Bust My Brain – EXCLUSIVE #ACEWORLD DOWNLOAD
- [#ACE_ Premiere] Iyanya – BUST MY BRAIN (aceworldteam.com)
- IYANYA THRILLS FANS WITH “KUKERE” VIDEO ****Prep For 2nd Album (naijapen.wordpress.com)
- [#ACE_ Articles] Wale Applause – MY LOVE LETTER TO UPCOMING ARTISTES (aceworldteam.com)
- [#ACE_ Interviews] EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH RUGGEDMAN …by Wale Applause (aceworldteam.com)
- [#ACE_ Articles] 7 NEW ARRIVALS IN THE NIGERIAN MUSIC INDUSTRY …by Wale Applause (aceworldteam.com)
- [#ACE_ Articles] REASONS WHY SOME GIANTS ARE SEEN AS DWARFS IN THE NIGERIAN MUSIC FACTORY …by Wale Applause (aceworldteam.com)
- [#ACE_ BULLETIN] Alien DNA @ WAX LYRICAL (aceworldteam.com)
- DJ Akin – Naija Mix N162 (Compilation) (hiphopsouth.wordpress.com)
- [#ACE_ MIXTAPE] The MAVINs – SOLAR PLEXUS (aceworldteam.com)
- [#ACE_ INTERVIEW] #ACEWORLD MEETS DJ TOXIQ A …by Shayo Grass (djaysean.wordpress.com)