The year 2012 ends in a couple of days, couple of hours. It was and is an interesting year. It offered us a lot from the stock it had. It is a year to linger on in our memories for a long time. It was not the typical, though it had it’s ups and downs.
A very beautiful year indeed.
While some will cherish the achievements made during the year, others will wish some days did not come at all. Of the many events that took place in 2012, a couple of them were surprising and one wouldn’t have thought it could until it did.
- The Mo’Hits break up saga is an event that many would have thought impossible as it took everyone by surprise. Everyone who has keenly followed the success of this clique must have been surprised when the news of the break up came up. The now defunct Mo’Hits had Don Jazzy, D’banj, Wande Coal, Dr. Sid and D’Prince before the inclusion of Ikechukwu which won’t last long. The defunct Mo’Hits which grew to become a force to reckon with in the music factory had successful albums with D’banj and Wande Coal, and also a successful “Curriculum Vitae” collaboration album. Several stories came up after the break up and thereafter fans had to pick a camp which led to the formation of #TeamDonJazzy and #TeamD’banj. It was indeed bad news to bear for most music lovers. These two icons after break up founded two different labels; Mavins by Don Jazzy and D’banj Records by D’banj. After this break up, both acts are yet to record their previous height as achieved with the now defunct Mo’Hits Records.
- Another event that took the entertainment scene by surprise was the public proposal by 2face Idibia to his long time love and baby mama, Annie Macauly soon to be regarded as Annie Idibia. 2face Idibia proposed to his African queen on the Valentine’s Day of 2012 at a popular club in Lagos. This public proposal took Annie by storm as she was swept off her feet as her day finally came. That was the day she has always waited for. This proposal led to their engagement and a reported secret wedding which makes them man and wife.
- For lovers of rap music, the year did not go past without events in the rap game; there was an interesting beef between Vector and Reminisce. It wasn’t a fierce battle like the ones we used to have in the past, though it was an interesting one. This battle of words started when Reminisce picked a few word off Vector’s line on “Kitchen Street”, a single on which he was featured by world famous Sinzu, formerly Sauce Kid. Reminisce who I would say caught his sub on that track stormed the studio and recorded the diss single, “Ata” on which he gave vector a dose of his bitter pills. This was the track that sold the beef out. Reminisce did not know what to expect till Vector caused a “Distraction”. He got on a track by fellow rapper A-Q on which he took things personal with Reminisce. This track, some music critics argued could have ended Reminisce’s career, I guess it was just a distraction. There was no response to this track by Reminisce who wasn’t distracted, and which made the beef short lived. Truth be told, when you listen to recent tracks on which Reminisce features, you would smell rats.
- Still in the rap game, sometimes this year; Muna publicly embarrassed and insulted King ModeNine. At an event where Muna was the emcee and King Modo was the chief judge, an incident which one wouldn’t have imagined happened. The story was quick to die as Muna’s management issued a press release to pacify the king. Maturity by King Modo made the sleeping dog lie soon as he took the issue in good faith. Muna to Modo, what an insolence, such is life though.
- Also this year, two young celebrities – Terry G and Ice Prince gave birth to heirs to the throne outside wedlock. When the news of Terry G’s baby got into the media, he did not make any fuss about it unlike his counterpart who initially vehemently refused and denied the baby and mother. The news was quick to fade as his PR did an excellent job of taking off the front pages. Reports as at press time shows that Ice Prince now takes full responsibility of his son as a biological father does.
- Two potential stars Eva Alordiah and May D were sacked by their respective labels. Eva Alordiah previously signed on eLDee’s Trybes 2.0 Records was sacked by the management of the label due to differences beyond repairs. There weren’t a lot of details about the sack in the media, as one is left to wonder why a wonderful and very promising act such as Eva Alordiah will be handed a sack letter. May D who was previously signed on Square Records of P-Square also got sacked by management due to irreparable differences. May D, who claims that the sack news got to him via the Press still feels insulted till date. This is another act that was already doing well in the market. One can be sure P-Square had their reasons though.
- Funke Akindele a.k.a Jenifa got married amidst a lot of controversy to Almaroof Oloyede to become his 3rd wife. This sprang up a lot of reactions by her fans who think their role model deserves better. Even after the wedlock, Funke is still yet to enjoy the fruit of wedlock as she jumps from one controversy into another. Reports show that she almost had a broken home.
- 2012 as we all know was a big year for DavidO, “O.B.O”; it was his year of entrance and revelation all at once. This can be attributed to the fact that he had a lot of cash to throw around. That been said, he had a successful album launch, but the year did not go round without him having his fair share of scandals on the online social media network, Twitter. From the cheque picture twitting to lady in bed twit-pics. The most recent scandal had a well circulated picture of DavidO in bed with his ‘girlfriend’, supposedly better than all of you. He left his mouth wide open like he was having a performance in his sleep. All these being said, it was a big year for home boy DavidO.
- The year 2012 also saw veteran Sound Sultan celebrate his 12 years in stage in grand style. In an event which many called one of it’s kind in the music factory, this veteran was well celebrated by names and figures within the entertainment industry. Sound Sultan is worthy of this feat having vigorously contributed to good music in the music factory.
- Another very recent but important event that made 2012 memorable was the slap that was dashed the Big Brother Africa winner, Karen Igho at an event in Lagos by a security guard. She reportedly started the news on Twitter giving her an early morning trend on the day after the event occurred. Karen who is not sure of pressing charges feels so hurt and peeps took turn to either console or make jokes out of the event. Although stories reaching me seem immaterial, it is very wrong under any circumstance for a man to beat a woman.
- Internationally, the year was indeed a very big one for our acts as many international collaborations, international records and distribution deals took place. D’banj, Wizkid, DavidO, P-Square all had their fair share of international collaborations like Kanye West, Kardinal Offishall, Akon and Rick Ross. It was indeed a good year as our acts received accolades and recognition worldwide. Now the international body sees the relevance of the African music market especially from the Nigerian angle.
- Lastly, the year did not just come and go without a new revelation in the name of Tonto Dikeh. She at last became the biggest revelation of the year. This beautiful and controversial actress left the shores of Nollywood to try her hands on music. On release of her first 2 singles, Tonto Dikeh got the criticism of her life, but this did not just happen without her setting a record of over one million downloads in just a couple of hours. Her songs became instant hits. After this, she decided to hit the studio with Terry G on a track she titled “Crazically Fit”. She also promises to drop an album soon. Also just recently did she take to a war of words with her counterpart Yvonne Nelson over the sexy Iyanya. It is still relevant news as the two haven’t stopped this tongue and keypad fist. I wouldn’t like to talk much about this as I do not want to be caught between the fireworks of their key pads.
- 13 ACTS TO WATCH OUT FOR IN 2013 …by Wale Applause (aceworldteam.com)
- Chris Morris ft. Zeal [of Styl Plus] – IGIRIGI (aceworldteam.com)